I watch the news pretty regular. Don't ask me why as I know it's pretty mainstream media news in that it's never really news but agendas being aired. The latest example being the call for tighter gun control and "assault weapon" bans after the recent rash of shootings. Don't get me wrong I feel for those that lost their lives, the families destroyed by the senseless violence but I truly do not see any gun laws preventing these crimes. I mean it's illegal to kill people period. Rather it be with a gun, a knife, a car, or your bare hands. The folks committing these crimes know that and yet they are beyond any point of self control.
Ever notice also how then mainstream news outlets will get "experts" on the phone or on a panel to discuss the hot item of the day? Well CNN had this ex FBI guy on the phone to discuss the need for reinstating the assault weapons ban and the reporter kept trying to steer the conversation toward that end. This is the behavior that irks me at times, I mean if he's the "expert" let him speak his mind on his own. And while I do respect that a lot of people fear guns and have no understanding I do not understand why you can't be open to different opinions. It was these thoughts that were going through my mind when this "expert" noted that these type of crimes come in clusters and a lot of times the "sensationalism" from the media is what provokes the next guy that's on the edge. I could not agree more! I mean look in recent times, the beheadings of hostages in Iraq, one after another as long as the media was covering it intensely, the drive by shootings in ganglands in the 90's, the school shootings. I mean it seems like they are so driven by ratings that if they find a horrific story to cover they continue on course until people start tuning it out. More people are killed violently in this country in a year than die in combat. It's just a fact. We don't however have genocide, weapons of mass destruction used on our citizens, starvation as a means of power, and televised beheadings as entertainment.
Ever notice also how then mainstream news outlets will get "experts" on the phone or on a panel to discuss the hot item of the day? Well CNN had this ex FBI guy on the phone to discuss the need for reinstating the assault weapons ban and the reporter kept trying to steer the conversation toward that end. This is the behavior that irks me at times, I mean if he's the "expert" let him speak his mind on his own. And while I do respect that a lot of people fear guns and have no understanding I do not understand why you can't be open to different opinions. It was these thoughts that were going through my mind when this "expert" noted that these type of crimes come in clusters and a lot of times the "sensationalism" from the media is what provokes the next guy that's on the edge. I could not agree more! I mean look in recent times, the beheadings of hostages in Iraq, one after another as long as the media was covering it intensely, the drive by shootings in ganglands in the 90's, the school shootings. I mean it seems like they are so driven by ratings that if they find a horrific story to cover they continue on course until people start tuning it out. More people are killed violently in this country in a year than die in combat. It's just a fact. We don't however have genocide, weapons of mass destruction used on our citizens, starvation as a means of power, and televised beheadings as entertainment.
No comments:
Post a Comment