Since this is the ramblings of a mad photographer I thought I'd write some current thoughts as a reminder and a warning.
One Photo Source is a self proclaimed "pro" photography forum that I along with many others are a part of. Perhaps a reader or two is also a member so who knows?! Anyway a subject in the form of a question was brought up about legalizing gay marriages and would you as a photographer if asked perform the duties of capturing their wedding? I answered that while I respect every human's right to a life he or she chooses that I would not do the job because I don't think I could give them an honest effort. And since this is a non politically correct verbal spaz blog, I would not because I could not honestly look at two men loving all up on one another and be in the frame of mind that says awww isn't that sweet and which angle would best represent this couple, etc etc etc. To me and I honestly mean this, I truly don't care if gays want to be gay but it does not mean I support the "gayness" of it and as such would not give them an honest days work. If I was asked to photograph a crime scene that involved a child, same response. If I was asked to photograph a KKK meeting, same response. I mean there are just some things I don't support or want to be a part of without feeling "guilty" or ill myself.
That being said the topic of course got some varied responses, somewhat even but the ones that were "for" photographing them to make a buck seemed to be a bit more hateful in their responses. One such response was a lady claiming to be a buhdist because "This is precisely why I embrace Buddhism. I'd much rather set an example of tolerance, love, and acceptance than narrow mindedness, hatred, and bigotry." But then goes on to say "And for the record, I don't let religion enter into my business decisions. I have no problem photographing Christian couples, even though I don't believe in their God and certainly don't buy in to their beliefs." Now this kinda struck a chord with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a practicing christian and I too believe everyone should have a right to their own belief's but when I called her out asking if Buhdists actually ever got married, which even in my ignorant hillbilly mind I really have no clue but thought I should ask and then I proceed to say "it's a good thing religion doesn't enter her business because afterall those ignorant bigots of christians are the only ones hiring her for the weddings"! I mean I know it was a little snide but afterall you have to stand for something.
Well fastforward to present where a mod says my comment was out of line. Ok fine so I go back and re-read the thread and all of the people saying they wouldn't are like explaining away why and how they really don't mean to offend anyone and being really overzealous and tip toeing around the subject so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. And to put a lot into one sentence, it just pisses me off. Some people are so wanting to be politically correct that they worry about whom they piss off. In my opinion and I'm sure of many others this is exactly the reason why we're in the shape we're in today. This country was founded on christianity, right or wrong it's a fact. If you're offended by it then go somewhere else. That's what freedom is about. It's not about anyone having the right to make others feel guilty. Same thing goes for a lot of the christians who judge and or push their religion down your throat. Everyone has a right to choose. It's when people such as this mod try to squelch anything offensive to the minority and to me it was equally offensive when she said what she said but nothing was done.
In the end I deleted all of my comments from this entry. Why, I'm sure you're asking since I think this is part of the problem! Well good question and I guess the only real reason is that I guess I know what it feels like to be a minority. I can say this though, I'm sure the end will justify the means. If I'm the only one offended then I guess that's something I live with and I'll chaulk it up to my individuality. I'm one pretty unique motherf....er.
One Photo Source is a self proclaimed "pro" photography forum that I along with many others are a part of. Perhaps a reader or two is also a member so who knows?! Anyway a subject in the form of a question was brought up about legalizing gay marriages and would you as a photographer if asked perform the duties of capturing their wedding? I answered that while I respect every human's right to a life he or she chooses that I would not do the job because I don't think I could give them an honest effort. And since this is a non politically correct verbal spaz blog, I would not because I could not honestly look at two men loving all up on one another and be in the frame of mind that says awww isn't that sweet and which angle would best represent this couple, etc etc etc. To me and I honestly mean this, I truly don't care if gays want to be gay but it does not mean I support the "gayness" of it and as such would not give them an honest days work. If I was asked to photograph a crime scene that involved a child, same response. If I was asked to photograph a KKK meeting, same response. I mean there are just some things I don't support or want to be a part of without feeling "guilty" or ill myself.
That being said the topic of course got some varied responses, somewhat even but the ones that were "for" photographing them to make a buck seemed to be a bit more hateful in their responses. One such response was a lady claiming to be a buhdist because "This is precisely why I embrace Buddhism. I'd much rather set an example of tolerance, love, and acceptance than narrow mindedness, hatred, and bigotry." But then goes on to say "And for the record, I don't let religion enter into my business decisions. I have no problem photographing Christian couples, even though I don't believe in their God and certainly don't buy in to their beliefs." Now this kinda struck a chord with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a practicing christian and I too believe everyone should have a right to their own belief's but when I called her out asking if Buhdists actually ever got married, which even in my ignorant hillbilly mind I really have no clue but thought I should ask and then I proceed to say "it's a good thing religion doesn't enter her business because afterall those ignorant bigots of christians are the only ones hiring her for the weddings"! I mean I know it was a little snide but afterall you have to stand for something.
Well fastforward to present where a mod says my comment was out of line. Ok fine so I go back and re-read the thread and all of the people saying they wouldn't are like explaining away why and how they really don't mean to offend anyone and being really overzealous and tip toeing around the subject so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. And to put a lot into one sentence, it just pisses me off. Some people are so wanting to be politically correct that they worry about whom they piss off. In my opinion and I'm sure of many others this is exactly the reason why we're in the shape we're in today. This country was founded on christianity, right or wrong it's a fact. If you're offended by it then go somewhere else. That's what freedom is about. It's not about anyone having the right to make others feel guilty. Same thing goes for a lot of the christians who judge and or push their religion down your throat. Everyone has a right to choose. It's when people such as this mod try to squelch anything offensive to the minority and to me it was equally offensive when she said what she said but nothing was done.
In the end I deleted all of my comments from this entry. Why, I'm sure you're asking since I think this is part of the problem! Well good question and I guess the only real reason is that I guess I know what it feels like to be a minority. I can say this though, I'm sure the end will justify the means. If I'm the only one offended then I guess that's something I live with and I'll chaulk it up to my individuality. I'm one pretty unique motherf....er.
No comments:
Post a Comment